Earth Day - April 22Published: April 22, 2014
Click to enlarge [+]
There are plenty of ways you can make every day Earth Day. Improve your own small part of the planet by considering these suggestions for spring-cleaning, garden preparation, and home improvements.
* Purchase non-toxic cleaning products. Use natural fiber sponges and cleaning agents that are biodegradable, phosphate-free, chlorine-free, and unscented.
* Reduce paper use. Use rags instead of paper towels; cloth napkins instead of paper ones. Buy post-consumer recycled paper and recycle it when you've used it.
* Refurbish responsibly. Use water-based or vegetable-based paints, stains and varnishes. Don't wash paint thinners, household cleaners, oil, or pesticides down the drain or pour them on the ground; use them up, give leftovers to friends or a charity, or dispose at your local toxic waste disposal center.
* Repair instead of replace. Reupholster furniture. Resole your shoes.
* Shop your local thrift stores.
* Replace disposable goods with renewable ones. Buy rechargeable batteries. Use dishes instead of paper plates.
* Plant for the environment. Strengthen your garden's resistance to pests by planting resilient plants, by rotating the fruits and vegetables you plant, and by attracting friendly bugs to prey on the unwanted insects.
* Bring your own shopping bags/totes when you buy groceries.
* Reduce trash by starting a compost bin in your backyard.
"Love your Mother, don't trash her!"
Rockwall - Heath High School Student Poster from March 2010 Digital Media Fair